This year has been all about growth and getting to know me. It has been a crazy journey there were a lot of down moments and times where I just gave up but they were all lessons and I am grateful for them. It is never too late to unlearn and re-learn I am constantly trying to learn new things about myself and others. I am so grateful that I have reached 21 and I honestly do not feel any different but I am super excited about what the future holds. It was quite hard for me to keep this short and sweet as I learnt soooooo much this – So here are my top five lessons of the year:
- God will always make a way: Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails / Ecclesiastes 7:8 Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride. A friend gave me this bible verse around the beginning of the year. At this time I was not in the best place, I was doubting myself a lot and the degree that I was doing so much to the point where I actually quit (kinda). There was a lot going on around me and I was battling things internally mostly around relationships with family and re-visiting things from my past. I felt so helpless and did not feel that I was in a position to help others. After this breakdown, I decided to let go of the past and find myself. I have come to terms with the fact that I am not doing this for me I am doing this because other people need me. I am going to finish what I have started and I am now starting to embrace my calling.
- Self-love is the best love: self-love can be hard to define like many things everyone has their own interpretations. Being a people pleaser, it was really hard for me to express my opinions without thinking about offending others. For me, my journey of self-love was around having my own opinions and interpreting things for myself rather than looking to other people or religion to provide me with the answers. When I say religion I mean – just accepting what is being preached at church and not reading the bible for myself and having my own personal encounter with God. I feel like when you do this, you get lost in the sauce and lose your sense of self-identity.This year I have come to understand that self-love to me is the ability to be apologetic and confident not only in myself but also in the choices that I make. Saying no and meaning no! To be able, to be honest, and raw without a care in the world. I am still working on this, it is a constant journey, to be honest. I have become more honest with myself – being 100% honest with others, however, is where the challenge lies as you cannot choose how someone will interpret your actions.
- Do not hold onto relationships when they no longer serve you:‘Everyone who is in your life is meant to be a part of your journey but not all of them are meant to stay’. Of all the lessons I have learnt this year, learning to let go of people has been the hardest yet greatest challenge. This year I became very comfortable being by myself a lot. This was very uncomfortable for me as I was very used to being around people most of the time. Sometimes we outgrow people, not everyone is meant to do the whole journey with you.
- Life is not meant to be done alone: No matter how much you dislike people – you actually need people. I have been so guarded this year in regards to starting new friendships/relationships. I got to a point where I got so comfortable with being alone that I preferred being by myself a lot and couldn’t be bothered with others. Although it was good that I was able to be comfortable alone it was also unhealthy as I was becoming one of those ‘trust no one’ kind of people. Yes, it’s not everyone you can trust but there are people out there with great souls. Once you get to a place where you are comfortable alone you need to ask yourself what kind of people do I want to share my journey with. You need to be very picky about the kind of people you surround yourself with and be unapologetic about not just allowing anyone into your space.
- Not everyone will give you an explanation or be completely honest with you, this is okay: Sometimes in life people will have a problem with you, unfortunately not everyone will let you know what their issues are. Some people get over it with time, however, others may hold onto it and eventually stop speaking to you and you never know why. This is okay, I have always been the type of person who wants to know why and does not like when people are upset with me. Of course, it is not nice to experience, but this is not your problem it is theirs. Within this lesson could also be the lesson of forgiveness, do not hold people in your heart or mind – this takes up too much energy. Learn to forgive others for your own peace of mind. Remember that nobody is perfect, we all have our flaws you cannot please everyone – it is not possible, even Jesus has haters.
Stay blessed – drop any comments below on any valuable lessons you have learnt in life so far x